Websites for clubs and societies
Does your club or society have a website or perhaps you're thinking about having one?
If so, you already know just how important a website is for communicating with members and potential new members and yet, for many, the Club website is a millstone around the neck and for others, they find themselves with an out-of-date website that they are unable to update, change or add functionality easily.
For a start, who looks after it? Who updates it regularly and what happens if they leave or move away? This is a problem faced by all clubs and societies at some point in their existence.
These are the common problems faced by clubs & societies when it comes to websites
- We have a “free” website but, frankly, it looks horrific.
- It was made by a willing volunteer who is no longer around.
- That willing volunteer now does not have time to keep the website updated & secure.
- Our website has vanished because nobody knew they had to renew the domain name each year.
- We could do a lot more with our website but, we don’t have the skills & knowledge.
- Someone suggested we didn’t need a website and to use a Facebook page instead. Now we seem to have lost touch with our membership and we’re no longer in control.
- We would like to send our newsletters electronically but, that seems to be beyond our capabilities.
- We would like a members-only section which requires a secure login.
- We would like to be able to advertise, promote and take payments for events but, again, it seems to be a technical bridge too far.
- We would like to be able to accept membership fees online.
- We’re worried about GDPR and that’s holding us back as we always get into a never-ending debate on the subject.